Thursday, 31 January 2008

from Nicola to my wedding

i thought for the first time i would describe one of my rides in the cyberspace.
sometimes when I am about to go to bed i get dragged into the cyberspace by one reason or another.
for example, this time, i was cleaning the mailbox when i saw this email from Nic, a message from his last.fm account: it was a bunch of flamenco music. one of the song was by Paco Pena, one of the most famous flamenco guitarist still alive.
I got curious to see him playing live so I went to Youtube.com where I immediately found a lot of video with paco pena, and I choose one. it was a performance on tv probably from the early 80's.

I watched several video, until a search with Paco Pena returned , I don't know why, Santana in Woodstock playing (Soul sacrifice).
While I was watching it,I became curious about the line up of this Santana band in 1969, especially the drummer who looked familiar.
It turned up to be Michael Shrieve, and no, there was no reason for him to look familiar, never heard of him. Sorry.

I searched more Santana live on youtube, but didn't find much of interest, a concert in Santo domingo from the 80's with the public shouting so loud they were actually louder than the band.

Then I got thinking to my favorite Santana's song, and that must be Black Magic Woman, so i looked for a live version and I found a couple: this one and this one, which is my favorite.
One of the related videos was this one, with a title of "Peter Green & Santana - Black Magic Woman [Poddighe Version] ".
Now this was a real jigsaw. Who is Peter Green? and what has he got to do with Santana e with BMW (oops? Black Magic Woman!).
Well, I discovered that Peter Green created the Fleetwood mac and he actually wrote this song that I like so much. See Wikipedia.
Now the last mystery was the band playing in this video. They did sound not super pro, but they didn't sound like complete amateur either.
A search on "Poddighe" was to answer this last question: it's a band from italy, which explains the "Grazie" at the end.
Actually, if you read their website, it's more like a cluster of bands and musicians gravitating around a recording studio.
Poddighe is a band with 2 configurations: the power trio (seen on youtube) and the acoustic duo (unplugged?).
Anyway to cut to the chase, I have decided that if I get married, I will book Poddighe power trio as band for live music. Che storia!
buona notte!


No comments: